Public Safety Canada is promoting Emergency Preparedness Week from May 7 – 13, 2017. This national event is to bring awareness to individuals and families on how to protect themselves in an emergency or disaster.
This year’s theme is: Plan. Prepare. Be Aware.
It is important for people to understand and know the risks, make a plan for them and their family and to ensure they have a fully stocked emergency kit on hand.
It is also prudent to have a “Grab and Go Bag” for each person in the family and one for your pets. A Grab and Go Bag should be the size that you can carry and kept near the main exit of your home. Recommended contents for a Grab and Go Bag are:
- A change of clothing
- Warm jacket or hoodie
- Bottled water and snacks
- Personal care items (toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.) in a Ziploc bag
- Family picture
- Something to keep you busy (e.g. journal/pens)
- Coins or small bills to purchase snacks or make phone calls
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Emergency contact info/ medical information
- Medication if needed
- Extra shoes/clothes as space allows (women should keep an extra pair of flat shoes in their vehicle too – you can’t walk far in high heels)
- A comforting item (blanket, teddy bear, trinket, toy)
For more information or to download a toolkit, visit: https://www.getprepared.gc.ca/cnt/rsrcs/ep-wk/tlkt-en.aspx